- Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Ziotopoulou’s mission is to advance numerical simulation tools by making them better connected to the body of information on soil behavior and thus achieve seismic resilience and sustainability of geostructures. Together with her research group, her goals are to: (a) improve our understanding of the response of liquefiable soil-structure systems through advanced multi-scale experimental testing, (b) advance and perform reliable numerical simulations and develop usable simulation tools, and through these (c) facilitate advances in performance-based design across a range of foundation design and ground improvement methods. Her efforts have produced numerical tools that are currently widely used by research and practice nationally and internationally, towards assessing and managing risks associated with earthquake-induced ground failure.
Awards & Honors
- 2017 Greek International Woman Award in Science
- 2016 ASCE 2016 Outstanding Reviewer Recognition
- 2017 Engaged Learning Community Award, UC Davis
- 2016 Teacher of the Week – Virginia Tech CIDER
- 2015 W(H)YDOC Young Doctors in Geomechanics Fellow.